September 12, 2010
Editor of Leading American Newsmagazine Reveals Contempt for Muslim-Americans
In this post to his New Republic blog, Martin Peretz, Editor-in-Chief of The New Republic, and (apparently and quite surprisingly) Lecturer in Social Studies at Harvard University:
1. seems to encourage "rall[ies] or demonstration[s] in America aimed at Muslim or Arab interests or their commitments to foreign governments and, more likely, to foreign insurgencies and, yes, quite alien philosophies";
2. observes what he describes as "the increasingly Islamicized but non-practicing Christian and democratic sovereignties of Europe";
3. claims that "Liberal political theory has virtually ignored the philosophical, legal and ethical questions posed by the threatening demographics of Europe."
4. suggests that Muslims may be indifferent to death even in Islamic lands: "I want to believe that Muslims are traumatized by the unrelieved murders in Islamic lands."
5. suggests that few Muslims protest mass slaughter: "Frankly, the only demonstration against a mass killing (after all, they happen nearly every day) I've read about was last week in Pakistan when some 30-odd people, not designated and not guilty of doing anything except going to a Shia shrine were blown right then and there.... Why do not Muslims raise their voices against these at once planned and random killings all over the Islamic world? ... And among those Muslims led by the Imam Rauf there is hardly one who has raised a fuss about the routine and random bloodshed that defines their brotherhood. "
6. suggests that Muslims do not value their own lives: "But, frankly, Muslim life is cheap, most notably to Muslims."
7. questions whether Muslim Americans merit First Amendment protections because they are likely to abuse such protections: "So, yes, I wonder whether I need honor these people and pretend that they are worthy of the privileges of the First Amendment which I have in my gut the sense that they will abuse."
TrackBack URL for this entry:
Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Editor of Leading American Newsmagazine Reveals Contempt for Muslim-Americans:
The comments to this entry are closed.